Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Everything Sounds Better In French

One of the cool things about living in Canada is being regularly exposed to French language. Government regulations require French translations to be included on all public signage and consumer goods packaging.

I've found this to be very interesting and at times highly entertaining. I first realised that I'd subconsciously absorbed some French when I was able to translate 'Lune de Miel' without actually thinking about it (honeymoon).

I've come to the conclusion that nearly everything sounds better in French. It has a certain way of making common household products sound so much fancier and more exotic. Here are some of my favourites:

Care for some veritable (real) whipped cream?

Or how about some alluring tea? It's fantastique!

Could you please pass me a trombone? Oh, actually I meant... never mind.

Glad wrap - adhesion without misery!

Even no-name brands sound fancy.

This minced beef looks a bit gros though...

Ok, so nearly everything sounds better in French.


2 comments:

  1. Claire

    "C'est bon". You write a very interesting & entertaining blog - beautiful photography.

    Love from Mum (Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trés bien!

    Now if I was back in year 7 I could write this whole thing in French but I'm not...

    Xoxo Jess

    ReplyDelete